Le Chatelier's principle #9 week 2 HW

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cristian Cortes 1L

Le Chatelier's principle #9 week 2 HW

Postby Cristian Cortes 1L » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:25 pm

After my third try i was able to successfully answer the question

"At equilibrium, the concentrations in this system were found to be [N2]=[O2]=0.200 M and [NO]=0.400 M.
N2(g)+O2(g)↽−−⇀2NO(g)

If more NO is added, bringing its concentration to 0.700 M, what will the final concentration of NO be after equilibrium is re‑established?"

My question is how would we approach this question if we added to the reactant instead of the product?

Jenaye Brelland 2I

Re: Le Chatelier's principle #9 week 2 HW

Postby Jenaye Brelland 2I » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:38 pm

I think you would just change the initial concentration and resolve the question normally? I thinkk...

Hasmik Dis 2F

Postby Hasmik Dis 2F » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:28 pm

If we added more reactants, then the biggest change would be the direction of the reaction. In this case, since we added more products, Le Chatelier's principle says that our reaction will favor reactants. On the other hand, more reactants obviously mean reaction will favor products. So, instead of using "-x" as the change in products for our ICE tables, we would do so for reactants.

rhettfarmer-3H

Postby rhettfarmer-3H » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:43 pm

If we added more to the reactants it is basically the same just the initial amount would change. Set up the equation as normally and have the right initials and the math will be different because we have different numbers and R will be more than P. Hence, we will just get more product because R>P and it is basically the same though mathematically.

Marc Lubman 3B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Marc Lubman 3B » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:50 pm

The process would be precisely the same, you would still use an ICEbox to find the final quantities of your reactants and products. However, the equilibrium would shift towards products rather than reactants initially.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”