Effect of Pressure (contraction) in reaction

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

austin-3b

Effect of Pressure (contraction) in reaction

Postby austin-3b » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:22 am

If there are zero moles on one side of the reaction (solid only) and you compress the system, does the reaction shift to that side or does it not (because the solid does not contribute to equilibrium)?

Example
A(s) --> B (aq) + C (g)

BrittneyMyint1D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Effect of Pressure (contraction) in reaction

Postby BrittneyMyint1D » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:35 am

Hi, from my understanding, if you compress the system, the reaction would shift to the left (based on your equation) since theres less/no moles on the reactants side. Decreasing volume would affect the concentration by increasing the concentration of the products, making Q>K at that instant, so the reaction would want to shift left to return to equilibrium. Hope that makes sense!

Emma_Barrall_3J

Postby Emma_Barrall_3J » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:09 am

I agree with Brittney, it would shift to the left as there are less moles of gas on that side.

Libby Dillon - 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Libby Dillon - 1A » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:16 pm

Yes, even though there are no moles of gas on the reactants side of the equation (only solids), the reaction would still shift to the left if there was an increase in pressure do to a decrease in volume. Whichever side has fewer moles of gas is the direction in which the reaction will shift (even 0 moles gas).

My-Lan Le 1L

Postby My-Lan Le 1L » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:12 pm

The reaction will still shift to the left because it favors whichever side has less moles when it is compressed. Even if there isn't a gas on the left, I also think that it would still favor the left.

Emmeline Phu 1G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Emmeline Phu 1G » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi! In the case of the example you gave, if we compressed the system, the reaction would shift towards the side with a smaller number of mols to balance out the pressure. Thus, since the reactant side has 0 moles and the product side has 2 moles, the reaction would shift to the left. Hope this helps! :)

kristinalaudis3e

Postby kristinalaudis3e » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:51 pm

during compression, reactions favors the side with the least amount of moles, so in this example it would shift to the left.

Chinmayi Mutyala 3H

Postby Chinmayi Mutyala 3H » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:12 pm

It would shift to the left since by compressing the system, you are increasing the pressure. The left has less moles of gas. By shifting the equilibrium to the left, more solid reactant would be made and decrease the pressure of the system.

Hannah Lechtzin 1K

Postby Hannah Lechtzin 1K » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:13 pm

As mentioned above, the reaction will still shift left because there are no moles of reactant. The reaction will still want to reach equilibrium despite being compressed.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”