Biological examples (ATP hydrolysis and osmotic pressure)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nadya Higgins 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Biological examples (ATP hydrolysis and osmotic pressure)

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:41 pm

Hi, I was looking through outline 1 and found one of the points we should know is of biological examples such as ATP hydrolysis and osmotic pressure. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find this information (if it's in the textbook or lecture) or if we should do our own research? Also, it would be great to know how they tie into chemical equilibrium or Le Chatelier's Principle. Thank you!

Lisa Seidl 3H
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Biological examples (ATP hydrolysis and osmotic pressure)

Postby Lisa Seidl 3H » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:24 pm

I saw this too and I believe he briefly mentioned it in one of his lectures in week 2, but I couldn't find anything about it in the textbook readings. I would assume it won't be highly tested on since it was not a main focus of the course so far.

BKoh_2E

Postby BKoh_2E » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:35 am

Although this probably won't be tested specifically, it may be useful to know ATP hydrolysis is an exothermic reaction, and thus moves towards the reactants when exposed to heat. I believe this was briefly mentioned in the textbook.

Nadya Higgins 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:35 pm

BKoh_2E wrote:Although this probably won't be tested specifically, it may be useful to know ATP hydrolysis is an exothermic reaction, and thus moves towards the reactants when exposed to heat. I believe this was briefly mentioned in the textbook.

Thanks for the tip!

Samudrala_Vaishnavi 3A

Postby Samudrala_Vaishnavi 3A » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:58 pm

I would say that you would have to look this up since it was only briefly mentioned in the lecture. I know that ATP hydrolysis requires energy however since you need to break bonds to hydrolyze things which means a positive change in enthaply.

Victor Qiu 1C
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Victor Qiu 1C » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:48 am

ATP → ADP + Pi
ATP: adenosine triphosphate
ADP: adenosine diphosphate
Pi: phosphate ion
This reaction releases energy.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”