Total Pressure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Garmani Kyaw

Total Pressure

Postby Garmani Kyaw » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:42 am

There was a question on total pressure in midterm 1. I remember that the one and only reactant was solid, and did we have to expect that there was no partial zero for that reactant?

If you remember, how did you solve this problem?

Marylyn Makar 1B
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Total Pressure

Postby Marylyn Makar 1B » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:10 pm

Hi! So when you solve for chemical equilibrium problems, you do not include solids or liquids. Therefore, you would ignore the reactant that was a solid for that question. To find the total pressure, you would just have to add up the partial pressures of the products once you solve for them. I do not remember the rest of that problem but if you go to a TA's office hours they can explain it to you :)

Immi Lee - 1D

Postby Immi Lee - 1D » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:15 pm

I agree with the post above. I did not necessarily have that question, but that is generally how you approach these types of problems.

Riddhi Mehta 2C

Postby Riddhi Mehta 2C » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:24 pm

Marylyn Makar 1B wrote:Hi! So when you solve for chemical equilibrium problems, you do not include solids or liquids. Therefore, you would ignore the reactant that was a solid for that question. To find the total pressure, you would just have to add up the partial pressures of the products once you solve for them. I do not remember the rest of that problem but if you go to a TA's office hours they can explain it to you :)

I understand this train of thought, but how would you solve for partial pressures with a K value and not a Kp value?

Kylie Joe 2A

Postby Kylie Joe 2A » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:01 pm

Solids are not included in the Kp measurement or the regular K value, so I think you can go about it in the same manner as you would given Kp

AlbertGu_2C

Postby AlbertGu_2C » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:16 pm

I recall in the question, the gases were on both sides, so it made it easier to solve for the answer using the Kp equation.

David Y

Postby David Y » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:45 pm

Solids and liquids would not count for this. This would apply for gases for Kp.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”