How do we tell if K changes when a stress is applied?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brandon McClelland3L

How do we tell if K changes when a stress is applied?

Postby Brandon McClelland3L » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:28 am

I understand how the reaction shifts left or right under stress, but I'm having trouble telling whether or not K changes. Can anyone provide an explanation?

Mikayla James 2A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: How do we tell if K changes when a stress is applied?

Postby Mikayla James 2A » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:01 am

Hi! For changes in pressure/volume and concentration, K doesn't change because these changes disrupt the system and it will eventually return to equilibrium. K only changes with changes in temperature, where if it's endothermic and the temperature is increased, K will increase, and if it's exothermic and the temperature is increased, K will decrease. Hope this helps!

Katelyn Alvarado 3K

Postby Katelyn Alvarado 3K » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:53 am

As stated above, K will actually never change unless the stress that is applied is a change in heat, because the shifting of the reaction takes place in order to keep K the same and preserve that ratio. When there is a heat change, either more reactants are produced or more products are produced depending on which reaction is endothermic/exothermic without regard to preserving K. This is why K will only change if temperature/heat changes and stays the same for other stresses.

Kiku Shirakata 2A

Postby Kiku Shirakata 2A » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:12 am

Hello,

As mentioned above, I think that for this class, it's important to keep in mind that the equilibrium constant will only be affected by temperature.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”