Total Pressure at Eq

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

IA_1D

Total Pressure at Eq

Postby IA_1D » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:43 pm

Hi,
So the question I have is when calculating the total pressure, it tells you to calculate the sum of all the partial pressures of all species at eq. How does one do that? Like what does it mean in terms of calculating x.

Wesley Zhou 1F

Re: Total Pressure at Eq

Postby Wesley Zhou 1F » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:54 pm

After figuring out your ICE box, the total pressure can be calculated by adding all the final equilibrium values (partial pressures) together.

Of course, when x is involved, solve for x, then plug it into the equilibrium value to solve for that value.

Ramya_Paravastu_1H

Postby Ramya_Paravastu_1H » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:56 pm

I solved this problem by using an ICE chart to find my partial pressures (plug in the given initial value, find partial pressures in terms of x, find Kp in terms of x, solve the quadratic by equating Kp to the Kp value found earlier, plug x back into the partial pressure equations from the ICE chart), then I added up my results.

Jessica Berejikian

Postby Jessica Berejikian » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:00 pm

When calculating the total pressure, add together all of the equilibrium partial pressures. If solving using an ICE box, solve for x, plug the value of x into the equilibrium concentrations, and then add these together.

N Kanuri 2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby N Kanuri 2E » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:18 pm

As others have commented, use the quadratic formula (if necessary) to solve for x after setting up an ICE table. Once you have the correct x-value, plug this back into the equilibrium expressions for the partial pressures of each reactant/product. And finally, because the total pressure of the system is equal to the sum of the partial pressures, add each equilibrium value from the ICE table together to determine the total pressure of the system.

Alex Luong 3H

Postby Alex Luong 3H » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:19 pm

You would use the ICE box to find x, which is the partial pressure of 1 of the products. To get the total pressure, you would add the partial pressure of all the reactants and products at equilibrium.

Kaira Shibata 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kaira Shibata 1E » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:07 pm

Once you have x, you are going to calculate the pressures of each species at equilibrium (add or subtract x based not he last line of the ICE table). Once you have the values of each species' pressure at equilibrium, add up all the numbers to get the total pressure.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”