Calculating the new concentration of moles

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Calculating the new concentration of moles

Postby 805594676 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:29 pm

How do you calculate the new concentration of moles when an additional amount of product or reactant is added to a solution? I'm having trouble on setting up the equation.

eunicevazquez_2I

Re: Calculating the new concentration of moles

Postby eunicevazquez_2I » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:35 pm

Hey so this reminds me of question 10 from week 1 if i'm correct, but for this one we use the concentrations we were first given to find Kc, we then use that Kc to help us find the new concentration. So for mine I had to add an additional 1 mol/l to NO2 so my equation was set up like this (3.17-2x)/(4.19+x)= 11.23, I then used the quadratic formula to find x and i plugged in x to find the new concentrations.

Sohan Talluri 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Calculating the new concentration of moles

Postby Sohan Talluri 1L » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:36 am

In this case, you would find the new concentration of the reactant or product after the additional amount was added, and use the new concentration as its initial concentration in the first row of the ICE box. The initial concentrations of the other reactants/products would be the same as their previous equilibrium concentrations, and the ICE box can be solved from there.

Hopefully this helps and please correct me if there are any mistakes.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”