textbook problem 5.33

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily_Hanna_2E

textbook problem 5.33

Postby Emily_Hanna_2E » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:30 pm

I have a question about 5.33, it mentions that a is a correct choice because increasing the temperature would increase the formation of X(g) since the reaction is endothermic. I understand that the reaction is endothermic because we are breaking bonds, but can someone explain what this has to do with increasing/decreasing temperature? Thank you.

sally peterson

Re: textbook problem 5.33

Postby sally peterson » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:37 pm

I think about these problems as heat being a product or reactant and applying le chatelier's principle. Since the reaction is endothermic, the reaction requires heat, and heat is therefore a reactant. If you increase the temperature, you are adding more heat and thus more reactant. Therefore, the reaction would shift right and form more products.

samantha eberle 2L

Re: textbook problem 5.33

Postby samantha eberle 2L » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:38 pm

If a reaction is endothermic, adding heat will favor the forward direction of the reaction, which means it favors the formation of products. So, the addition of heat in this case would cause more X atoms to form. We can see in the given diagrams that there is an increase in X atoms, and since we know it is endothermic, this increase of X atoms can be explained by an increase in temperature. Hope this helps!

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”