Question 5.39 in Textbook; How to go about half-ing the volume?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Meghna Sehrawat 3A

Question 5.39 in Textbook; How to go about half-ing the volume?

Postby Meghna Sehrawat 3A » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:34 pm

Hi! I was doing question 5.39 in the textbook, which essentially asks you to calculate equilirbium quantities based on the initial concentration and Kc. However, it has a part two that states "the volume of the flask is reduced to half its original value. Calculate the new equilibrium concentrations of the gases". In this example, the book just simply divides the volume in half, and uses the new concentration values to calculate. I was wondering how to do this if it was pressures, rather than concentration given?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Question 5.39 in Textbook; How to go about half-ing the volume?

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:48 pm

Hi Meghna,

It's difficult to say how much the partial pressures would change, but if we halve the volume then the pressures of the gasses are going to increase as the gasses are going to collide more often. At that point we would recalculate the equilibrium concentrations using the ICE table.

I hope this helps Meghna!

Dashrit_Pandher_1J

Re: Question 5.39 in Textbook; How to go about half-ing the volume?

Postby Dashrit_Pandher_1J » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:12 am

If the pressures were given rather than the concentration, assuming we know the volume, temperature, and moles of the reactants/products, we could use the ideal gas law (PV=nRT) in order to solve for what the new partial pressures would be. It would be a similar methodology as what was done for the concentrations, instead, we would just half the value of V in PV=nRT.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”