H+ Acidic and OH- Basic

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Maria Trujillo 1L

H+ Acidic and OH- Basic

Postby Maria Trujillo 1L » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:29 pm

From what I understand from lecture, the more H+ ions the more acidic something is and the more OH- ions the more basic something is or becomes. What I am confused about it, the relationship between Lewis and Bronsted acids and bases. Like what relationship do they hold?

Betty Wolkeba section 1L

Re: H+ Acidic and OH- Basic

Postby Betty Wolkeba section 1L » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:35 pm

I think the main part we should know is that Lewis acids and bases are involved with electron lone pairs( whether you gain it for an acid or loose it for a base) whereas Bronsted acid and bases have to do with protons (which include H+ atoms) and whether you gain them for a base or donate them for an acid.

DavidEcheverri3J

Postby DavidEcheverri3J » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59 pm

I believe that the idea of acids/bases is somewhat related to polar/nonpolar. Its just ideas and studies that have been conducted in order to better understand bow certain molecules interact in aqueous solutions. This will also help in labs!

Ah-hah!

Yixiao Hu 3C

Postby Yixiao Hu 3C » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:25 pm

I think that's only two ways of demonstrating.
Acids and Bases: Lewis vs. Bronsted. There are two complementary definitions of acids and bases that are important: the Bronsted (or Bronsted-Lowry) definition: an acid is a proton (H+ ion) donor, and a base is a proton acceptor; the Lewis definition: an acid is an electron acceptor, and a base is an electron donor.

Athena L 1B

Postby Athena L 1B » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:03 am

The Lewis definition is a more general definition, as some compounds can be Lewis bases but not Bronsted bases

Return to “Properties & Structures of Inorganic & Organic Acids”