How does anion stability contribute to relative acidity?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Angeline 3E

How does anion stability contribute to relative acidity?

Postby Angeline 3E » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:33 am

I know the rule that a structure with a more stabilized anion makes that structure stronger but what does it have to do with making the acidity stronger? and why is it more willing to give up an H+? Thanks!

WesleyWu_1C

Re: How does anion stability contribute to relative acidity?

Postby WesleyWu_1C » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:32 am

When we say that an acid is stronger, we mean that more of the products are formed. For example, the strong acid HCl dissociates into H+ and Cl-. Since we know that HCl is a strong acid, we know that Cl- is a stable anion because if it wasn't a stable anion it would want to combine back with H+ to become HCl. The more stable the resulting anion is, the stronger the acid.

Chantel_2I

Postby Chantel_2I » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:37 pm

When the anion is stable, the dissociation of the acid is more likely to happen because reactions favor stability. This makes it a stronger acid.

Sears 4A

Postby Sears 4A » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:07 pm

the more stable the anion on its own, the more likely the acid is to be strong because it is more likely to dissociate in water

Arvind 4G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Arvind 4G » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:12 pm

A more stable anion means that the anion is able to be by itself without reforming the compound it was a part of. Acid strength refers to its ability to form products, namely H+. If the H+ reacts with the anion because the anion isn't stable then the acid is not as strong.

brennayoung

Postby brennayoung » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:11 am

Not entirely sure how the anion portion of this affects it but what I learned was that the more stable the base, means it is a weak base, and will produce a strong acid.

RoshniVarmaDis1K

Postby RoshniVarmaDis1K » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:16 am

When the anion is stable, the forward reaction will occur more often than the reverse reaction because the anion's stability will mean that it is less inclined to bond back to the released proton. This will increase the acidity of the solution.

Return to “Properties & Structures of Inorganic & Organic Acids”