Strong/Weak acids

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eden Breslauer-Friedman 2A

Strong/Weak acids

Postby Eden Breslauer-Friedman 2A » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:19 pm

When the hydrogen is directly bonded to the X atom (Cl, Br, I etc.), the strength of the acid is based on the length of the bond (the bigger the atom, the longer the bond, the stronger the acid)

Then, when there is an intermediary atom (like O or C) between the X atom and the hydrogen, since it is all a H-O or H-C etc bond being broken, we consider the electronegativity of the atom on the other side and the higher the electronegativity, the more it stabilizes the charge, so the stronger the atom?

Can someone just confirm that I understand this correctly! Thank you!!!

Ethan Laureano 3H

Re: Strong/Weak acids

Postby Ethan Laureano 3H » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:29 pm

I believe you are correct.

Steph Du 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Steph Du 1H » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:40 pm

You consider the electronegativity because you are trying to determine the stability of the resulting anion. If the resulting anion is stable, it makes it so that the acid is more likely to lose its H+ atom, so that is what makes it a stronger acid.

SavannahScriven_1F

Postby SavannahScriven_1F » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:35 pm

Another helpful note is that I learned in a UA worksop is that if you are trying to determine the stability of anions that are all within the same group, the stability increases down a group because the charge is "diluted" more in larger atoms. I believe this only holds true if you are looking at the anions in acids like HCl/HF/HBr, where hydrogen is directly bond to a single-element anion.

AJForte-2C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby AJForte-2C » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:27 pm

SavannahScriven_2E wrote:Another helpful note is that I learned in a UA worksop is that if you are trying to determine the stability of anions that are all within the same group, the stability increases down a group because the charge is "diluted" more in larger atoms. I believe this only holds true if you are looking at the anions in acids like HCl/HF/HBr, where hydrogen is directly bond to a single-element anion.

Hi! Can you explain about the charge being "diluted" a bit more?

Vince Li 2A

Postby Vince Li 2A » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:30 pm

What Savannah means AJ is that because as you go down a group, the electrons densities are farther away from the positive attraction from the nucleus. As a result, the "dilution" is due to the spread of the electrons around the atom. As a result, it is difficult for the atom to hold onto the Hydrogen, due to the lack of concentration of the charge.

Return to “Properties & Structures of Inorganic & Organic Acids”