Strength of Acids

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Uyenvy Nguyen 1D

Strength of Acids

Postby Uyenvy Nguyen 1D » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:05 pm

The bigger an anion in an acid, the stronger the acid is, right? For #11 on the week 10 Sapling homework, the acids given were HClO, HBrO, and HIO. It asked to list the acids from most acidic to least acidic. How come they considered the electronegativity of Cl, Br, and I instead of considering the size of them when determining the strengths?

LarisaAssadourian2K

Re: Strength of Acids

Postby LarisaAssadourian2K » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:19 pm

From what I've understood, since there is an oxygen present in the compound and the Cl/Br/I are bonded to that, the electronegativity of the atom is used rather than the atomic size in determining the acid strength. I hope this helps!

Isaac Wen
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Isaac Wen » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:27 pm

I'm not entirely sure either, but I remember reading something about how if you're comparing elements down a column, bond length matters more whereas electronegativity matters more when comparing elements across a period.

BrittneyMyint1D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby BrittneyMyint1D » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:13 pm

From my understanding, the H in each of those acids (HClO, HBrO, and HIO) are bonded to the O, so you have to consider the electronegativity rather than the size. However, if it was HCl, HBr, and HI, since the H are bonded to the anions, you can consider the size. Hope this helps!

Hailey Qasawadish 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Hailey Qasawadish 2J » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:16 pm

You can only use the size of the atom to determine the relative acidity of two atoms bonded together, for example, HF vs HCl. Since Cl is bigger than F, the bond between HCl is longer and weaker than the bond between HF. Thus, the weaker bond is easier to break and the acid is stronger. When you have molecules such as HClO and HBrO, you can no longer use size. This is because the bond that breaks is the bond between the O and the H which is the same in both of these molecules. So instead, we have to look at the electronegativity of the atoms Cl and Br. Since Cl is more electronegative than Br, Cl has more electron-withdrawing power. This makes HClO a stronger acid than HBrO. Hopefully this makes sense!

BoparaiAdeshsurjit2F

Postby BoparaiAdeshsurjit2F » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:41 pm

Since there is oxygen present the acidity is now based on what has the highest electronegativity. There are way too many rules for acids and bases lol

MMorcus2E

Postby MMorcus2E » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:47 am

From my understanding, you determine whether you look at electronegativity or size by looking at what the H is bonded to. Since all molecules have more than 2 atoms, you can't look at the atomic radius. Therefore, your next step would be to look at the electronegativity. Since electronegativity increases up a column, then Cl would be the most electronegative followed by Br and I respectively. Just remember to look at the number of atoms in the molecule and what the H is bonded to first!
Last edited by MMorcus2E on Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evelyn Silva 3J

Postby Evelyn Silva 3J » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:09 am

In this case you would have to consider the electronegativities of each atom because they are not being bonded to H. You only consider atomic radius when you have a binary acid.

reyvalui_3g

Postby reyvalui_3g » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:17 pm

In oxo acids the stronger acid is the one with the more electronegative atom attached to the OH group. This is because the atom will pull the electrons from the oxygen closer to it, making the OH bond more polar. In turn the molecule can deprotonate much easier.

Return to “Properties & Structures of Inorganic & Organic Acids”