HClO vs. HClO2

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kaitlin Joya 1I

HClO vs. HClO2

Postby Kaitlin Joya 1I » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:35 pm

HClO2 is stronger because the additional O atom attached to the Cl atom helps to pull the electron of the H atom out of the H-O bond. I do not understand what this means. Why does it help to pull the electron out of the bond?

AlexandriaHunt2J

Re: HClO vs. HClO2

Postby AlexandriaHunt2J » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:07 pm

Hi! As mentioned in lecture, one property that makes acids strong is that the resulting anion is stable: for example, due to electron-withdrawing atoms that delocalize and stabilize the negative charge. HClO2 has one additional oxygen atom as compared to HClO, and oxygen is an electronegative atom. The presence of an extra oxygen atom means that the distribution of negative charge is spread over two oxygens rather than just one, which stabilizes the anion and makes ClO2- more stable than ClO-.

Kaira Shibata 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kaira Shibata 1E » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 pm

This just means that when an additional O is added, there is another electronegative atom on the compound. Because this O is electronegative and bonded to the Cl, the electron density is being pulled from the lesser electronegative H on the other side of the central chlorine atom.

Talia Tam 3L

Postby Talia Tam 3L » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:17 pm

HClO2 is stronger because once it loses H, there are two oxygen atoms that can share the negative charge, rather than just one. This makes the resulting anion more stable.

Return to “Properties & Structures of Inorganic & Organic Acids”