Achieve Question #7 Week #10

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Diego Salgues 2K

Achieve Question #7 Week #10

Postby Diego Salgues 2K » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:25 pm

Does anyone know a trick on how to know find out how a salt dissociates in water? I.E, in the Question #7 for Week #10 we were supposed to determine if certain salts were acidic or basic.

Thanks,

D

Sarah3C

Re: Achieve Question #7 Week #10

Postby Sarah3C » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:26 pm

I always look to see if one the elements would create a strong acid or a strong base. For example, if it contains a Group 1 or 2 element then typically that creates a strong base. Also, if there is an element or compound that creates a strong acid like Cl or I then typically it is a strong acid.

Nathan Morgan 2C

Postby Nathan Morgan 2C » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:05 pm

Hello! For this question, I found it helpful to have the strong acids and bases memorized. If the salt contained elements that I saw in the strong acids and the strong bases, I knew it would be a neutral salt, but if it only had an element from a strong base or only a strong acid then I knew it had to be basic or acidic, respectfully. Hope this helps a bit!

Jayden Tan 2L

Postby Jayden Tan 2L » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:28 pm

To solve for #7, I first split the salts into the respective cations and anions and bonded them to H+ and O-, depending on their charges. What I essentially did was reversed the reaction and found the reactants from the product. From there, I used my knowledge of what a strong acid, weak acid, strong base and a weak base was to find the relationship between the two reactants. Using this technique, if there was a strong base but a weak acid, I knew that the salt would be more basic, and vice versa. If both were weak, or both were strong, it would be considered neutral. Hopefully that made sense!

Return to “Properties & Structures of Inorganic & Organic Acids”