List of Strong Bases and Weak Bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Frederick Keith_4C
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:19 am

List of Strong Bases and Weak Bases

Postby Frederick Keith_4C » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:17 am

What is the list of strong bases and weak bases that I have to memorize??

Alice Chang 2H
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:18 am

Re: List of Strong Bases and Weak Bases

Postby Alice Chang 2H » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:19 am

I think this is the full list:
Strong acids:
HCl, HBr, HI, HNO3,H2SO4, HClO4
Strong bases:
NaOH, CaO, KOH, Na2O, Ba(OH)2

If you know the strong acids and bases, the weak ones should be easy to figure out :)

Justin Nguyen 3E
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:35 pm

Re: List of Strong Bases and Weak Bases

Postby Justin Nguyen 3E » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:51 am

To add on to what Alice said, HClO3 can also be considered a strong acid, but not in every situation. For the strong bases, it's pretty much a "b" shape on the left side of the period table (LiOH, NaOH, KOH, RbOH, CsOH, CaOH, SrOH, BaOH)

Anirudh Mahadev 1G
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Re: List of Strong Bases and Weak Bases

Postby Anirudh Mahadev 1G » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:04 am

Justin Nguyen 1I wrote:To add on to what Alice said, HClO3 can also be considered a strong acid, but not in every situation. For the strong bases, it's pretty much a "b" shape on the left side of the period table (LiOH, NaOH, KOH, RbOH, CsOH, CaOH, SrOH, BaOH)


Why does Mg(OH)2 not fall into the strong base category? Does it have something to do with the coulombic attraction?

Andre Fabian 1F
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:03 pm
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: List of Strong Bases and Weak Bases

Postby Andre Fabian 1F » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:16 pm

Anirudh Mahadev 1B wrote:
Justin Nguyen 1I wrote:To add on to what Alice said, HClO3 can also be considered a strong acid, but not in every situation. For the strong bases, it's pretty much a "b" shape on the left side of the period table (LiOH, NaOH, KOH, RbOH, CsOH, CaOH, SrOH, BaOH)


Why does Mg(OH)2 not fall into the strong base category? Does it have something to do with the coulombic attraction?


Mg(OH)2 is not a strong base due to its limited solubility; given that this would decrease the amount of OH- ions dissociated in the solution, the molecule is therefore classified as a weak base.


Hope this helps!
Andre

Anirudh Mahadev 1G
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Re: List of Strong Bases and Weak Bases

Postby Anirudh Mahadev 1G » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:39 am

Andre Fabian 1G wrote:
Mg(OH)2 is not a strong base due to its limited solubility; given that this would decrease the amount of OH- ions dissociated in the solution, the molecule is therefore classified as a weak base.


Hope this helps!
Andre


It does, thank you Andre!

Javier Perez M 1H
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Re: List of Strong Bases and Weak Bases

Postby Javier Perez M 1H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:07 am

Definitely memorize the list that Dr.Lavelle gave during the lectures it will assist you. Also probably try to see how OH molecules are formed as that will reveal as well which one is stronger and weaker.


Return to “Properties & Structures of Inorganic & Organic Bases”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest