Hydroxides vs Oxides

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hasmik Dis 2F

Hydroxides vs Oxides

Postby Hasmik Dis 2F » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:43 pm

So what's the difference between hydroxide bases and oxide bases? I'm not even sure if my question makes sense haha I'm just really confused about the concept. Can anyone explain oxides/hydroxides and their importance/differences?

Samiha Molla 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Hydroxides vs Oxides

Postby Samiha Molla 3G » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:50 pm

I think hydroxides just end in OH (ie. LiOH) and oxides end in O (ie. Li2O). And for the importance, both group 1 and group 2 hydroxides and oxides are usually strong bases, so if you see a group 1/2 element ending in OH or O, it's likely it's a strong base if that's something you're trying to determine. There's probably more to it but that's what I'm aware of, hope that helps!

Juliet Cushing_2H

Re: Hydroxides vs Oxides

Postby Juliet Cushing_2H » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:22 pm

Oxides are molecules like Li2O whereas hydroxides are molecules like LiOH. Hydroxides pop off a single OH- molecule when the salt is hydrated in water. When oxides are put in water, the O2- attracts an H from a neighboring H2O and the attraction is so strong that the water bond breaks. This makes two OH- molecules meaning that oxide bases are generally stronger than hydroxides. Hope this helps!

Return to “Properties & Structures of Inorganic & Organic Bases”