Strong Bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Audra Mcleod 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Strong Bases

Postby Audra Mcleod 3G » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:05 pm

Hello!
I was kind of confused as to whether metal oxides were considered strong bases. I know that in lecture Lavelle said groups 1 and 2 hydroxides and oxides were strong, but the list of strong bases that Sapling provided only included groups 1 and 2 hydroxides (and said that any bases not in that list were weak). So I was wondering whether group 1/2 oxides were in fact considered weak, or is this just an incomplete list?

rachelhchem1I

Re: Strong Bases

Postby rachelhchem1I » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:56 pm

I have been looking on the web, and I cannot seem to find anywhere that lists group 1/2 metal oxides as strong bases. I would just go with what Sapling says because that is our main resource textbook

Nicolette Simoni 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Strong Bases

Postby Nicolette Simoni 3L » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi!

So Table J.1 has a list of the common aqueous strong acids and bases that may hopefully help you understand!

Strong bases include group 1 hydroxides, alkaline earth metal hydroxides (Ca(OH)2, Sr(OH)2, and Ba(OH)2), and group 1 and group 2 oxides.

During today's step-up session, the UA said that Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, Strontium, and Barium from groups 1 and 2 all form the strong bases. I think that's what you were asking about? Hope this helps! :)

Return to “Properties & Structures of Inorganic & Organic Bases”