Amphoteric

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ziyi Meng 2K

Amphoteric

Postby Ziyi Meng 2K » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:44 pm

Hi,

How do you know if a compound is amphoteric? Or that it can act as a Bronsted acid or base?

Also, could someone help explain to me what it means that an acid is a proton donor? I didn't really understand the donating proton part.

Thanks.

Preston Pham 2H

Re: Amphoteric

Postby Preston Pham 2H » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:47 pm

An amphoteric has properties of both a base and an acid. So this means that they remove hydrogen ions from an acid or add hydrogen ions on a base. This basically means that it can be a bronsted acid/base. An acid is a proton donor because when you see acids they usually have an H+ with them like HCL or HBr or HI. Strong acids tend to dissociate more and thus are more likely to give up these protons or in otherwords (H+) to the base.

Anna Guan

Postby Anna Guan » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:49 pm

An acid is a proton donor because in water/solution, the compound will dissociate into H+ (proton), and the other part of it. That H+ is probably going to combine with the solution, therefore making the acid a proton donor.

Hayden Jackson

Postby Hayden Jackson » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:53 pm

In terms of determining if a substance is amphoteric, you should look at the oxygens and hydroxides on the molecule and if say an oxygen has only 1 bond and therefore an oxidation number of -1, it can accept a proton and and act as a base, but if it other spots it has hydrogens it can give, that could be one way to tell. I am also a bit confused by it. In terms of acids being proton donors, H+ is the proton since hydrogen is only made of one proton and one electron, and since the electron is gone, H+ is just a proton, which is why compounds like HCl and HBr are acids because they separate into H+ and Cl- for example in water, and that H+ is "given" or "donated" to the H2O molecule which turns it into H3O+. Hope this helps!

Ryan M

Postby Ryan M » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:00 pm

Adding on to all the other replies, water is the main example to know- the acids and bases h it went over how it can act as both! I don’t think there will be too many cases where we will have to identify random compounds as amphoteric, but the concept is good to know.

Kimia Rategh 2A

Postby Kimia Rategh 2A » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:22 pm

Hi! So something is amphoteric if it acts as both a base and an acid. If we consider the Bronsted-Lowry definition of acids and bases, we know that an acid is a proton donor meaning that it gets rid of one of its protons which is then picked up by another compound, often a base. Therefore, a base is a proton acceptor meaning that it takes on a proton, sometimes one that is given off by an acid. Thus, if something is amphoteric it means that it can both receive or donate a proton. Water is the best example of this where in reactions with a base, it acts as an acid and gives away one of its protons resulting in the production of a conjugate acid and OH-. Similarly, if water reacts with an acid, it acts as a base and accepts the proton that the acid donates resulting in a conjugate base and H3O+. Hope this helps!

Om Patel

Postby Om Patel » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:20 pm

an amphoteric compound is one that has properties of both an acid and a base. it can have a negative sign and a H+ proton in the compound giving it properties of both

Aida Fraser 2I

Postby Aida Fraser 2I » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:35 pm

are metalloids always amphoteric?

Sarah Wang 1I

Postby Sarah Wang 1I » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:47 pm

A good rule of thumb is that metalloid oxides are amphoteric.

Return to “Amphoteric Compounds”