Amphiprotic vs Amphoteric

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sadie Stevens

Amphiprotic vs Amphoteric

Postby Sadie Stevens » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:13 pm

I understand the difference between these two, that amphiprotic can accept or donate a proton, but amphoteric can act as an acid or base. But the overlap is confusing to me. What are some examples where one can be amphiprotic but not amphoteric (or vise versa)? Why is this?

Section 2C student

Re: Amphiprotic vs Amphoteric

Postby Section 2C student » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:17 pm

I think actually the difference is that amphiprotic means it has multiple protons, so it can donate H+ ions successively and more than once. This is why one can be amphiprotic (donating multiple protons) and amphoteric (acting as both an acid and a base) at the same time.

Nadia Nichol

Postby Nadia Nichol » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:21 pm

If I am understanding this question correctly, my explanation is that amphiprotic things can play both sides as acids and bases, like water. Differently, amphoteric stuff, for example aluminum oxide, can act all acidic or basic, but it doesn't have to involve passing protons. Even though people mix up the terms, something can be amphiprotic without being amphoteric, and the other way around, depending on how it does its acid or base thing.

Deep Mehta

Postby Deep Mehta » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:25 pm

Actually, you may be confused with the term polyproptic which means it has multiple protons to donate.

From what I researched, when a compound is amphoteric it means that it has both basic and acidic character. Thus, when the compound reacts with an acid, it shows that it's basic. When it reacts with a base, it shows that it's acidic. When a compound is amphiprotic, it means it can act as a proton donor and as a proton acceptor. For example, compounds like aluminum oxide are amphoteric because it acts like the base which would react with another acid. However, since this doesn't involve the exchange of protons such as aluminum oxide accepting a proton. This means that it is not amphiprotic but it is amphoteric. Hope this helps!

Section 2C student

Postby Section 2C student » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:26 pm

Wait, I'm so sorry, I used the wrong term. Please disregard my explanation!

Return to “Amphoteric Compounds”