Page 1 of 1

12.17

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:04 pm
by Sarah Rutzick 1L
State whether the following oxides are acidic, basic, or amphoteric: a) BaO b) SO3 c) As2O3 d) Bi2O3

How do you tell what these are, particularly how do you know when they're amphoteric?

Re: 12.17

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:13 pm
by Chem_Mod
The general rule is that nonmetal oxides are acidic, metal oxides are basic, and semimetal oxides are amphoteric.

Re: 12.17  [ENDORSED]

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:15 pm
by David Minasyan 1C
You can always try drawing out lewis structures and seeing if the compound can give, receive, or both give and receive lone pairs. If it can do both then its amphoteric. That's how I'd go about it - I dont really know of any other way.

Re: 12.17

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:54 pm
by dstemp
If metal oxides are basic, why is Bi2O3 amphoteric? Since Bismuth is a metal. Is the metal oxides being basic simply a general rule with certain exceptions?

Re: 12.17

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:22 pm
by Jessica Lutz 2E
David Minasyan 1G wrote:You can always try drawing out lewis structures and seeing if the compound can give, receive, or both give and receive lone pairs. If it can do both then its amphoteric. That's how I'd go about it - I dont really know of any other way.


How can you tell by looking at the lewis structure if a compound can give and/or receive lone pairs?

Re: 12.17

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:44 pm
by Andy Liao 1B
Jessica Lutz 1C wrote:
David Minasyan 1G wrote:You can always try drawing out lewis structures and seeing if the compound can give, receive, or both give and receive lone pairs. If it can do both then its amphoteric. That's how I'd go about it - I dont really know of any other way.


How can you tell by looking at the lewis structure if a compound can give and/or receive lone pairs?


I learned in my discussion section that a structure with a lone pair is a Lewis base and a structure with an incomplete octet is a Lewis acid.

Re: 12.17

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm
by Julia Meno 1D
Can someone explain why Bi2O3 is amphoteric? It's technically not listed as a metalloid on the periodic table.

Re: 12.17

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:38 am
by RenuChepuru1L
Julia Meno 1D wrote:Can someone explain why Bi2O3 is amphoteric? It's technically not listed as a metalloid on the periodic table.

draw out the lewis structure

Re: 12.17

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 pm
by Jonghwee Park 1K
How does the lewis structure prove that it can receive or give away lone pairs?

Re: 12.17

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:59 pm
by Chem_Mod
There has been a previous answer regarding this on chemistry community that can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=610

Now, how to tell whether or not it can react with both an acid or a base, in the case f the somewhat interesting examples of As2O3 and Bi2O3, the two metalloid components are able to separate to form coordination compounds where its oxygens have been protonated to waters that coordinate or where hydroxide ions coordinate.