Is BeO amphoteric?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

kellyz_1C

Is BeO amphoteric?

Postby kellyz_1C » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 pm

In the textbook on page 469, it says that usually oxides formed with the metalloid group are usually amphoteric but it also includes beryllium. I wasn't sure if the textbook meant boron instead as I have never learned Be to be a metalloid. Online, it says that Be is classified as a metal but has metalloid-like properties so I was wondering if, for our purposes, BeO would be amphoteric?

The direct quote is: "... but what about the elements that lie on the diagonal frontier between the metals and nonmetals? Along this frontier, from beryllium to polonium, metallic character blends into nonmetallic character and the oxides of these elements have both acidic and basic character"

Rogelio Bazan 1D

Re: Is BeO amphoteric?

Postby Rogelio Bazan 1D » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:52 pm

To my understanding, an amphoteric compound is a molecule or ion that can react both as an acid as well as a base.
Beryllium oxide is amphoteric because it can react with both acidic and basic solutions.
BeO + H2SO4 -------- BeSO4 + H2O; BeO + 2NaOH ------------- Na2BO2 + H2O

Best, Roger

Andrew Evans - 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Is BeO amphoteric?

Postby Andrew Evans - 1G » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Yeah they make it sure to not say "metalloid" because the diagonal band of amphoteric oxides is not the metalloids themselves but a diagonal band right next to the metalloids.

So don't get caught up in terminology, Be is part of that band of amphoteric oxides.

Return to “Amphoteric Compounds”