Amphoteric Structure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Dina Geotas 4A

Amphoteric Structure

Postby Dina Geotas 4A » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Would a molecule with a central atom able to have an expanded octet that currently has a lone pair and room to accept another pair be considered amphoteric?

gwynlu1L

Re: Amphoteric Structure

Postby gwynlu1L » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:12 am

I believe so. Consider what the circumstances may be in order for a compound to be considered amphoteric; It would probably need a lone pair available for a proton (H+) to bind to. But it would also need to have a proton (H) available to leave and bond to another compound. Try visualizing it with water. Water has 2 lone pairs, so it has the ability to act as a bronsted base and accepts an H+ to become H3O+ (the lone pair is where the H+ binds). But, water can also donate the H+ proton classifying it as a bronsted acid. Overall, I think a compound would at least need a lone pair and H+ to be considered amphoteric (the resulting molecule after the reaction would also need to be relatively stable.

Sam Kelly 1K

Re: Amphoteric Structure

Postby Sam Kelly 1K » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:14 am

The situation you described made me think of [SO3]-2 (sulfite), but I don't think that it's able to accept a single proton. Same goes for sulfurous acid, [H2SO3]-2 since it doesn't accept a proton to make H3SO3-. This is just one example of atoms with expanded octets, so maybe other ones can be amphoteric?

Return to “Amphoteric Compounds”