determining if compounds are acids, bases, or amphoteric

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

sarahsalama2E

determining if compounds are acids, bases, or amphoteric

Postby sarahsalama2E » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 pm

is the only way to determine if compounds are acids, bases, or amphoteric is if you draw the lewis structure for them and see if they give off or accept a lone pair? or is there another way to do so?

SajaZidan_1K

Re: determining if compounds are acids, bases, or amphoteric

Postby SajaZidan_1K » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:01 pm

I would also look at what elements makeup the compound, since the location of the element on the periodic table could provide insight on whether or not the compound is acidic, basic, or both.

Melvin Reputana 1L

Postby Melvin Reputana 1L » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:44 pm

You would determine if a compound is an acid or base based on the reaction in which you would use either the bronsted-lowry or lewis definition of an acid/ base.

Bronsted-lowry acid: proton donor
Bronsted-lowry base: proton acceptor

Lewis acid: electron pair acceptor
Lewis base: electron pair donor

A compound would be amphoteric if it can be both classified as an acid or a base. For example, water can be acid in some situations, while it can act as a base in others.

Matt F

Postby Matt F » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Looking at chemical reactions involving the compound and seeing what the resulting products are will probably be the most useful. I would think that a reaction would be given or they would tell you if it is acidic, basic, or amphoteric to begin with. I would also just be familiar with typical acidic, basic, and amphoteric compounds to have some examples to fall back on

Return to “Amphoteric Compounds”