Acidic vs Basic oxides

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Acidic vs Basic oxides

Postby 405318478 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:59 am

From reading in the textbook I am confused on the difference between acidic and basic oxides. Furthermore, are all oxides (acidic or basic) amphoteric? The section of textbook I am referring to is 6A.3. Thanks in advance!

Re: Acidic vs Basic oxides

Postby 305385703 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:22 am

Not all oxides are amphoteric. Only oxides involving the elements Be, Al, Ga, Ge, As, In, SN, Sb, Pb, and Bi (as shown in the textbook diagram) are amphoteric. What you need to know for sure is that metal oxides form bases and non-metal oxides form acids. The reactions that prove these two facts are a little more complicated—but some, like the reaction of CO2 with water to form H2CO3, an acid, are simpler. The examples are in the textbook if you want better evidence.

Ariel Davydov 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Acidic vs Basic oxides

Postby Ariel Davydov 1C » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:24 am

Based on Dr. Lavelle's lectures, it is safe to assume that metal oxides have basic character, nonmental oxides have acidic character, and certain elements that mirror the metalloid staircase on the periodic table are amphoteric, meaning they produce both an acid and a base in water. These elements are Be, Al, Ga, Sn, Sb, and Pb.

What Dr. Lavelle has taught us in class is not always in accordance to the textbook, as some metalloid oxides are outlined as amphoteric in the answer key but are acidic or basic according to Lavelle. I would follow his word over the textbook's. Hope this helps!

Return to “Amphoteric Compounds”