Amphoteric Compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chelsea Culi 3F

Amphoteric Compounds

Postby Chelsea Culi 3F » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:58 am

Will we be going more in depth with amphoteric compounds because I am kind of confused on how they are both basic and acidic in character.

Vance Liu

Re: Amphoteric Compounds

Postby Vance Liu » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:20 pm

Amphoteric compounds can react with either acids or bases, thus they have either acidic or basic character. Metal oxides are common amphoteric compounds (metal ion + oxygen) and can react with bases (cation + OH-) or acids (H+ + anion).

Elena Chan 2L

Postby Elena Chan 2L » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:08 pm

Amphoteric compounds can act as "double agents" since they show both acidic and basic characteristics. If you're referring to the acidic capabilities of an amphoteric compound, it is able to donate a proton through a hydrogen ion or accepting electrons from hydroxide ions in basic solutions. However, you can also talk about the basic properties of an amphoteric compound since it can accept a proton through a hydrogen ion when it reacts in an acidic solution. Knowing that BeO, Al2O3, Ga2O3, SnO2, Sb2O5, PbO2 (similar to the band of metalloids) are amphoteric in AQUEOUS solutions may help if you're still confused. Hope this helps!

Anne Hogue 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Anne Hogue 2J » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi! An easy way to remember if something is amphoteric is by checking that it has both a hydrogen and a negative charge. For example, in Achieve homework week 10, it asked which one was amphoteric and the answer was H2PO4-.

Mari Masunaga 1G

Postby Mari Masunaga 1G » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:59 pm

Hi! I'm not sure if we will be going more into depth on amphoteric compounds, however an example that helps me to understand them is water. H2O is amphoteric because it can either lose a proton to become OH- (base) or it can gain a proton to become H3O+ (acid). Hope this helps.

Return to “Amphoteric Compounds”