Identifying Acids and Bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

juliaddc

Identifying Acids and Bases

Postby juliaddc » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:57 am

I apologize if this sounds like a simple question, but I know that usually in order to identify an acid/base, we must look at the structure, but I was wondering if there was a faster way to identify an acid or a base, is there something to look out for in the molecule name?

Re: Identifying Acids and Bases

Postby 506047744 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:04 am

Usually the ones with OH are bases and the ones with H are acids. There are some exceptions to this however

Callista OConnor

Re: Identifying Acids and Bases

Postby Callista OConnor » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:07 pm

One way that really helps me figure this out is by drawing out the molecule and drawing an H2O molecule next to it and see how it would likely react. For example, if the compound has one or more H, an H+ is likely to get stolen from that compound by the lone pairs on the O in H2O to create H3O+ (so the initial compound in question is an acid).

If the compound has an atom with lone pairs, such as the N in NH3, then those lone pairs are likely to "steal" an H off of H2O to form OH-, and therefore the compound in question was a base.

I find this just as helpful as remembering patterns in naming, so I would suggest drawing the scenarios out and recognize the patterns in naming for yourself!

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”