Lewis vs Bronsted

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Armani Dodson 1A

Lewis vs Bronsted

Postby Armani Dodson 1A » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:06 pm

I am confused on the concept of lewis acids and bases vs bronsted acids and bases.....can someone help me define how to figure out which is which?

Susanne_Taavitsa_2J

Re: Lewis vs Bronsted

Postby Susanne_Taavitsa_2J » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:27 pm

I don't know if this helps or not:
-The Bronsted definition: an acid is a proton (H+ ion) donor, and a base is a proton acceptor.
-The Lewis definition: an acid is an electron acceptor, and a base is an electron donor.
Basically both are about acids and bases either accepting or donating electrons or protons.

Anna Makridis_L1

Postby Anna Makridis_L1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:26 pm

So according to this could both the Lewis and Bronsted explanations be describing the same acid? They just differ in what is accepted where?

Tyler_Ash_3C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Tyler_Ash_3C » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:15 pm

That is correct. Both Lewis and Bronsted explanations can describe the same acid or base. Notice that for acids, the net change in charge is -1, while for bases, the net change in charge is +1. When an acid donates a proton its charge becomes more negative, and when it accepts an electron its charge becomes more negative. When a base accepts a proton, its charge becomes more positive, and when it donates an electron its charge becomes more positive.

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”