Lewis Acid or Base: AlCl3  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amanda Mac 1C

Lewis Acid or Base: AlCl3

Postby Amanda Mac 1C » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:07 am

How would you know the Al atom in aluminum chloride is a Lewis Acid? I read somewhere else that if you calculate the formal charge and it's positive, then it's a Lewis acid because it wants to accept electrons. But when I calculated the formal charge for Al, I got 0 so how would you know if Al was a Lewis Acid?

Hammad Khan 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Lewis Acid or Base: AlCl3

Postby Hammad Khan 2B » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 am

I would expect it to be a Lewis Acid since its going to try and become a full octet meaning it will accept electron which is a characteristic of Lewis Acids. It is also the element with lowest ionization energy so it has to be in the middle accepting electron from other elements. It also doesn't complete an octet when the Lewis Structure is made and only has 6 electrons so it tries to accept any lone pair of electron to become stable.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 734 times

Re: Lewis Acid or Base: AlCl3  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 am

You can also discuss this today (Thursday) in the many support hours I have organized:

Chemistry & Biochemistry, 4222 Young Hall
Victoria Ford 12-1 pm, Ronald Yang 12-1 pm, Karen Leung 1-2pm

STEM Learning Center, Boelter Science & Engineering Library 8251
Franklin Liu 2-4 pm

Five (physical) hours available today (Thursday), in addition to Chemistry Community.

Good luck with your midterm.

Diego Zavala 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Lewis Acid or Base: AlCl3

Postby Diego Zavala 2I » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:01 pm

It readily accepts electrons from other atoms, in an attempt to get a full valence shell of eight electrons, thus it behaves as a Lewis acid since it is an electron acceptor

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”