Mixing an acid and a base

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mike Vinci 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Mixing an acid and a base

Postby Mike Vinci 2B » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:05 pm

What's going on Chemistry Community,
After going to Dr. Lavelle's lecture today, I found myself wondering about the results of mixing an acid and a base. Consider that you mix an acid and a base in water so that they disassociate into their component parts. What happens to the solution if you mix equal amounts of acid and bases? More acid, less of the base? Or less acid, more base? Another scenario is if you mix just and acid and a base. I believe they will neautrlize, in a case like HCL and NaOH, but what characteristics will the product have. Especially if the situation has more of an acid and less of a base, or the vice versa, do some of the reactants simply not get used up and continue to float around in the solution? FINAL question is if this is the case, that the base is limiting the reactant, and we have extra acid, will the pH reflect the additional acid present (assume the opposite situation of more base than acid, too)? Thanks!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 716 times

Re: Mixing an acid and a base

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:02 pm

The resulting pH of the mixtures would depend on whether the acid or base is weak or strong. However, when you add equal amounts of acid or base, assuming same equivalency of protonation, acid and base should be used up to make that same amount of salt and water. There would not be excess of acid or base, assuming they have the same equivalency of protonation.

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”