Lewis Acids and Bases on Midterm

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Julia Lee

Lewis Acids and Bases on Midterm

Postby Julia Lee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:44 pm

Does anyone know if we will need to know how to identify between lewis acids and bases for the midterm? I feel like we only briefly covered it in lecture.

Also, does anyone know general tips on how to identify between acids and bases when given a compound or molecule?

emily gao 1C

Re: Lewis Acids and Bases on Midterm

Postby emily gao 1C » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:56 pm

i feel like we should probably know basics (eg electron pair is shared)

and pretty much when you draw the molecule's Lewis structure where you would need one species to share an electron pair w the other--> thats a lewis acid/base pair

yea-lyn pak_1G

Postby yea-lyn pak_1G » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:02 pm

I think we do need to know because Professor Lavelle said that everything up to Wednesday's lecture would be on the test, and he did go over lewis acid/base during that lecture. An acid is the compound receiving an electron, whereas a base is the compound donating an electron.

John Kim Lec3Dis3L

Postby John Kim Lec3Dis3L » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:42 pm

I am in Lecture 3 and Dr. Lavelle said in class that everything up to Wednesday (yesterday) would be covered, which includes Lewis acids and bases. I doubt he really wants us to know a vast amount about them, though; it's probably ok to just know the fact that group 13 elements need 5 electrons to complete their octets, the difference between donating and accepting species, examples of both, and they would form a coordinate covalent bond.

Simran Athwal-Dis 3A

Postby Simran Athwal-Dis 3A » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Hello there, how would you know if a Lewis Structure is more acidic or more basic? How do you figure that out?

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”