How to Identify Lewis acid and Bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashley Odibo Dis3E

How to Identify Lewis acid and Bases

Postby Ashley Odibo Dis3E » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 pm

In reviewing for the final I'm trying to figure out easy ways to remember concepts. So can somebody correct me on whether or not the following concept is correct? When identifying Lewis acids and bases, are the acids typically the molecules without lone pairs on the central atoms while bases are molecules with lone pairs on the central atom, and if not can you give an example of why this concept doesn't work. Also if this concept isn't correct, what is another way to distinguish between Lewis acids and bases when given a molecule? Thanks.

Saachi_Kotia_4E

Re: How to Identify Lewis acid and Bases

Postby Saachi_Kotia_4E » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:01 pm

From what I understand, this is correct. Lewis bases have lone pairs that they are able to donate to a bond, while the acids have room to accept that electron pair. I found this online: "A Lewis acid is a chemical species that contains an empty orbital which is capable of accepting an electron pair from a Lewis base. A Lewis base, then, is any species that has a filled orbital containing an electron pair which is not involved in bonding but may form a bond with a Lewis acid."

Ashley P 4I

Postby Ashley P 4I » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 pm

You two are life savers, thank you for simplifying this. Lone Pairs= Base No lone pairs= Acid

Madelyn Romberg 1H

Postby Madelyn Romberg 1H » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Also helpful is to remember Lewis Acids will accept lone pairs and Lewis Bases with donate lone pairs, hence your conclusion was correct

allisoncarr1i

Postby allisoncarr1i » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Ashley P 4I wrote:You two are life savers, thank you for simplifying this. Lone Pairs= Base No lone pairs= Acid

Are there any exceptions for this or is it pretty reliable as a quick way to determine whether it is a base or acid?

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”