6.5 (7th edition)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andie Jian 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

6.5 (7th edition)

Postby Andie Jian 1D » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:40 am

The question asks you to write the chemical equation, draw the lewis structures, and identify lewis acid and base of the reaction H2O2 reacts with sulfur trioxide to form H2SO5. I really don't understand a lot about this question.

I understand that the chemical equation would be H2O2 + SO3 --> H2SO5, but why are all the states gases?

I also don't understand the structure of SO3 (with 1 double bond and 2 single bonds instead of all double bonds), and why the product (H2SO5) looks the way it does.Image How would we know to split up H2O2 and attach it to SO3 in the way that it does?

Furthermore, I don't understand why H2O2 is the base while SO3 is the product. Doesn't SO3 have the extra lone pairs?

Bingcui Guo

Re: 6.5 (7th edition)

Postby Bingcui Guo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:19 pm

In Lewis acid and base theory, all the base are electron donors and all the acid are electron acceptors. They do not need to be in aqueous state, they can be either states, either gas, solid, liquid. And in this question, you can think of H2O2 to split into 2 OH one with the electron lone pair the other not And one of the double bonds of SO3 was broken to let the O in the right to share electrons with OH without lone pairs. And since in SO3, there is one more empty orbital for S so S is the electron receptor and can bind with OH with lone pairs. In this case, SO3 is electron acceptor, thus it is the acid.

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”