Can someone please explain the heme group/hemoglobin stuff?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sameen Mahmood 3D

Can someone please explain the heme group/hemoglobin stuff?

Postby Sameen Mahmood 3D » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Can someone explain it clearly and what exactly we need to know about it for the final?? Thank you!

Alyssa Wilson 2A

Re: Can someone please explain the heme group/hemoglobin stuff?

Postby Alyssa Wilson 2A » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:01 pm

A transition metal is often found bound to a cage-like molecule, for example the porphyrin ligand. (4 nitrogens in a plane, creating a tetra-dentate square planar) Iron is bound to this porphyrin ligand, and therefore creates a HEME complex. A heme complex and a protein create myoglobin, which is the transport of oxygen in muscle cells. Hemoglobin has four myoglobin-like molecules that binds 4O2, and aids in the transport of O2 in the blood. I'm not 100% sure what we will be asked about this on the final, I would just make sure you know the concepts behind this. I hope this helps!

Sameen Mahmood 3D

Re: Can someone please explain the heme group/hemoglobin stuff?

Postby Sameen Mahmood 3D » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Alyssa Wilson 1E wrote:A transition metal is often found bound to a cage-like molecule, for example the porphyrin ligand. (4 nitrogens in a plane, creating a tetra-dentate square planar) Iron is bound to this porphyrin ligand, and therefore creates a HEME complex. A heme complex and a protein create myoglobin, which is the transport of oxygen in muscle cells. Hemoglobin has four myoglobin-like molecules that binds 4O2, and aids in the transport of O2 in the blood. I'm not 100% sure what we will be asked about this on the final, I would just make sure you know the concepts behind this. I hope this helps!

Thank you so much!

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”