Lewis v Bronsted v Arrhenius

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rohan Kubba Dis 4B

Lewis v Bronsted v Arrhenius

Postby Rohan Kubba Dis 4B » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:09 pm

Can someone differentiate between the Lewis base/acid, the Bronsted/Lowry base/acid, and Arrhenius base/acid definitions?

TYun_1C

Re: Lewis v Bronsted v Arrhenius

Postby TYun_1C » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:14 pm

Bronsted acids and bases deal with the donation and acceptance of a hydrogen ion. Lewis acids and bases deal with the donation and acceptance of an electron. I'm not completely sure about Arrhenius acids and bases but I think it has something to do with hydroxide ions.

Vincent Leong 2B

Postby Vincent Leong 2B » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:30 pm

They are all the same in the way, it's just the way you look at them. For example, Lewis acids are electron acceptors and that can be see with a molecule containing Boron (Lavelle showed this example in class). When putting HCl in water, H+ or a Hydrogen proton is being donated to the H2O molecule, hence the proton donor definition. Arrhenius deals with OH-. In a sense, each of these 3 definitions are just looking at diff components that a molecule, acid or base, will contribute, making them a acid or base in terms of classification.

Kayli Choy 2F

Postby Kayli Choy 2F » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:48 am

Arrhenius acid: reacts with water to produce H+
Arrhenius base: reacts with water to produce OH-
Bronsted acid: donates protons
Bronsted base: accepts protons
Lewis acid: electron pair acceptor
Lewis base: electron pair donator

Melvin Reputana 1L

Postby Melvin Reputana 1L » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:05 pm

I would also like to add on that the Arrhenius definition involves acids/bases being dissolved in water, while the Bronsted-Lowry definition considers how acids/bases can be dissolved in other solvents besides water.

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”