Memorizing Charges of Transition Metals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Petrina Kan 2I

Memorizing Charges of Transition Metals

Postby Petrina Kan 2I » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:15 am

I was just wondering if we have to know the charges of the transition metals? For example, if they say Zinc Nitrite for a neutralization reaction are we just supposed to know that zinc has a +2 charge?

Ryan 1K

Re: Memorizing Charges of Transition Metals

Postby Ryan 1K » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 am

Yes, I think it is best to memorize the charges of the transition metals, especially since nitrite is relatively simple to memorize.

Elizabeth Harty 1A

Postby Elizabeth Harty 1A » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:22 am

I think you have to memorize them.

Rishika Yadav 3D

Postby Rishika Yadav 3D » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:24 am

Yes, I believe we have to memorize these and know from the names.

AnayaArnold_3L

Postby AnayaArnold_3L » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:13 am

Should we only memorize transition metals and their charges?

Bita Ghanei 1F

Postby Bita Ghanei 1F » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:16 am

Can't the same metal have different oxidation states, though? Like Fe can be +2 or +3

Ryan 1K

Postby Ryan 1K » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:31 pm

Bita Ghanei 1F wrote:Can't the same metal have different oxidation states, though? Like Fe can be +2 or +3

Yes, but to figure out which oxidation state the metal has, we use the ligands to figure out the charge that we must balance out. As such, memorizing the ligands essentially works towards knowing the oxidation states of metals.

brennayoung

Postby brennayoung » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:08 am

Ryan Chew 1C wrote:
Bita Ghanei 1F wrote:Can't the same metal have different oxidation states, though? Like Fe can be +2 or +3

Yes, but to figure out which oxidation state the metal has, we use the ligands to figure out the charge that we must balance out. As such, memorizing the ligands essentially works towards knowing the oxidation states of metals.

Where can we find a list of the ligands we need to memorize, and how do you use the ligands to figure out the charge that balances out?

Matthew Tsai 2H

Postby Matthew Tsai 2H » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:56 pm

It may be more intuitive to memorize the charges of common ligands (from the chart) and use that combined with net charge of the compound/complex in order to calculate the charge of the transition metal cation.

Ryan 1K

Postby Ryan 1K » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:00 am

brennayoung wrote:
Ryan Chew 1C wrote:

Where can we find a list of the ligands we need to memorize, and how do you use the ligands to figure out the charge that balances out?

There is a table in the textbook (Table 9.C.1 I believe) that has the ligands we need to memorize.

To figure out the charge, we sum the charges of all the ligands (either neutral or negative). The coordination compound may have an overall charge, so the central metal atom needs to have the charge to balance the charge of the ligands to match the overall charge.

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”