Lewis Acids

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ariel Fern 2B

Lewis Acids

Postby Ariel Fern 2B » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:16 pm

Lewis Acids are electron acceptors, but what is the best way to determine that from a Lewis Structure? I'm having a little trouble visualizing the concept of Lewis Acids in terms of where an electron pair can be added on an atom. For Lewis Bases, I can see where lone pairs could be donated, but I'm just struggling on visualizing the same thing for Lewis Acids accepting electron pairs.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 426 times

Re: Lewis Acids

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:01 pm

Boron and other atoms in its group can act as Lewis acids because they cannot obtain a full octet by themselves, having only 3 valence electrons. Positively charged atoms can also act as Lewis acids since accepting a lone pair will neutralize the positive charge.

Snigdha Uppu 1G

Postby Snigdha Uppu 1G » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Lewis acids are molecules that are often positively charged that would bond to an atom with a lone pair such as H+.

DHavo_1E

Postby DHavo_1E » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:21 pm

Ariel Fern 3A wrote:Lewis Acids are electron acceptors, but what is the best way to determine that from a Lewis Structure? I'm having a little trouble visualizing the concept of Lewis Acids in terms of where an electron pair can be added on an atom. For Lewis Bases, I can see where lone pairs could be donated, but I'm just struggling on visualizing the same thing for Lewis Acids accepting electron pairs.

Hi,

I found the diagram on this website helpful!
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/chemi ... d-bases-2/
You can see that the lewis acid is H+ which is accepting the electron from oxygen.

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”