Bronsted vs. Lewis bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Annabella_Amato_1I

Bronsted vs. Lewis bases

Postby Annabella_Amato_1I » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:52 pm

Is a Bronsted base the same as a lewis base that bonds to a proton? And does this mean that not every lewis base is also a Bronsted base? Thanks!

Shruti Kulkarni 2I

Re: Bronsted vs. Lewis bases

Postby Shruti Kulkarni 2I » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:01 pm

From what Dr. Lavelle said during the lecture, a Bronsted base and a lewis base are the same, it is just the way you observe them that's different. In terms of a Bronsted base, you would observe it from the actions of the protons, as it will receive a proton, in comparison to Lewis bases which will be observed in terms of their electrons as it will act as an electron-pair donor.

Gigi Elizarraras 2C

Postby Gigi Elizarraras 2C » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:12 pm

Yes! We look at bronsted and lewis bases in the same way but it is just the way they are described that differs. Lewis bases are describes in how they donate electrons and bronsted bases receive protons:)

Earl Garrovillo 2L

Postby Earl Garrovillo 2L » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:20 pm

I think so. Bronsted bases are proton acceptors while Lewis bases are electron donors, so while all Bronsted bases are also Lewis bases, I believe not all Lewis bases are Bronsted bases.
For instance BF3 + F- ----> BF4-. F- is considered the Lewis base since it donated its lone pair but in and of itself, it's not a Bronsted base because no protons were accepted.
If we take a look at water and it's dissociation (H3O+ and OH- <---> 2H2O), both the definition of Lewis base and Bronsted base applies to OH-. In a Lewis perspective, OH- donates it's lone pair to H3O+. While in a Bronsted perspective, OH- is accepting the hydrogen ion/proton from H3O+. This is the same for all other Bronsted bases, so all Bronsted bases are also Lewis bases.

David Jen 1J

Postby David Jen 1J » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:44 pm

Lewis bases donate electrons, Bronstead bases accept protons. Essentially they are the same thing.

Olivia Monroy 1A

Postby Olivia Monroy 1A » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:52 pm

Yes, they both describe bases just slightly different definitions. Bronsted base is describing a proton acceptor and Lewis base is a species that donates an e- pair, both describe the same specie. It's just looking at the base in terms of electron or proton behavior.

Brandon Gruender 3F

Postby Brandon Gruender 3F » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:23 pm

They are similar, but have some differences. A Lewis base is a base in which an electron is donated to another atom. A Bronsted base is one who accepts a proton (from an H), making that atom basic. They talk about different reactions but lead to the same concept.

Sophia Kalanski 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sophia Kalanski 1A » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:31 am

Yes they are the same! We just decribe them differently! For bronsted bases, we describe them by the fact that they receive protons while for lewis bases, we describe them through them donating electrons.

Lorraine Jiang 2C

Postby Lorraine Jiang 2C » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:24 am

Bronsted acids/bases and Lewis acids/bases are two sets of definitions of acids and bases. Bronsted focus on the transfer of protons and Lewis focus on the transfer of electron. For example, Bronsted acid is a proton donor, and lewis acid is an electron acceptor. However, there are cases of acids and bases reaction without transfer of protons but there has to be a transfer of electrons in order for the reaction to take place. So we can choose which definition to use when describing acids/bases in a reaction.

Hope it helps!

Kyle Dizon 3A

Postby Kyle Dizon 3A » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:30 am

From what I recall that I got from the lecture, both of these have similarly concepts, only that Bronsteds are associated with the protons acceptor while the Lewis bases are associated with the electron donations. I believe he said that they are both similar principles so in regards of defining, we are free to use what is easy for us.

Kelly Tran 1J

Postby Kelly Tran 1J » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:10 am

Bronsted bases and lewis bases are essentially the same; the only difference is how you use the term to describe the molecule/compound. When referring to protons, bronsted bases are used to indicate that it is a proton acceptor. When referring to electrons, lewis bases are used to indicate that it is an electron lone pair donor.

Taha 2D

Postby Taha 2D » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:19 am

yes they are the same as one is an electron donor(lewis) and the other a proton acceptor(bronsted) which is basically the same thing. All Bronsted acids are lewis base but the reverse isn't true.

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”