Equilibrium

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Daniel Hernandez 1G

Equilibrium

Postby Daniel Hernandez 1G » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:54 pm

When Dr. Lavelle speaks about reactants and products being at equilibrium, what is he referring to? Is this a reference to the pH levels?

Giselle Granda 3F

Re: Equilibrium

Postby Giselle Granda 3F » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:57 pm

He is referring to their concentrations. It essentially means that there is a point at which the concentrations of both the reactants and products do not change with time anymore because of equal forward and backward rates. Hope this helps!

Immi Lee - 1D

Postby Immi Lee - 1D » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:21 pm

^ Adding onto this, the equation that he has in his lecture Ka = [A-][H+]/[AH] is just the concentrations of the products divided by the concentration of the reactants, but I am not 100% sure if we would have to know this/calculate the equilibrium of the weak acid so if someone could answer that'd be great!

Eliot Kagan 2G

Postby Eliot Kagan 2G » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:00 pm

Immi Lee - 2F wrote:^ Adding onto this, the equation that he has in his lecture Ka = [A-][H+]/[AH] is just the concentrations of the products divided by the concentration of the reactants, but I am not 100% sure if we would have to know this/calculate the equilibrium of the weak acid so if someone could answer that'd be great!

Our professor said that we only needed to know the components of the calculation, not the actual calculation for weak bases/acids (we will learn that in 14b). I think he wanted us to notice the fact that the solvent wasn't involved in the equation.

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”