Stength of Acid

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

claire ikemiya_2I

Stength of Acid

Postby claire ikemiya_2I » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:52 pm

So, in a review session I learned that a compound with a larger surface area contains stronger LDF. Translating that to the last topic we learned, would a compound with larger surface area be a weaker acid since it would be harder to give up electrons?

Kyle Walsh 2J

Re: Stength of Acid

Postby Kyle Walsh 2J » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:56 pm

Fancy seeing you here. I'm pretty sure that this is a correct assumption, but it's important to note that there is a difference between compound surface area and atom size. Since an increase in atom size means an increase in bond length, this weakens the bond and overall strengthens the acid. Hopefully this helped :)

Mauricio Maravilla 3C

Re: Stength of Acid

Postby Mauricio Maravilla 3C » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:52 pm

On one of the HW assignments I have to arrange aqueous solutions (assuming equal concentration) of various acids and bases according to the pH scale. I know HF is a weak acid since it doesn't disassociate completely but it should still have the lowest pH if it's aqueous correct?

So I guess I'm asking why would HF have a higher pH than HCl, I searched this up and it says HF has a lower pH but not according to the homework solution.

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”