remembering acids and bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bailey Wallace 3A

remembering acids and bases

Postby Bailey Wallace 3A » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:52 pm

Hi! Does anyone have any good ways of remembering that acids donate protons and bases accept protons? For some reason I have a hard time remembering this.

Sunny Xiao 1A

Re: remembering acids and bases

Postby Sunny Xiao 1A » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:56 pm

Hi! I like to think of it this way: HCl is a common acid, and when it reacts with water, it loses its hydrogen, so it loses a proton (HCl + H2O --> H3O+ + Cl-) Bases are just the opposite.

Samidha Menon 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Samidha Menon 1E » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:18 pm

Personally, whenever I find things I can't remember I like to use letters. AciD has a D and base does not, so aciD Donates. It's a little silly but things like that are personally very helpful to me!

Bailey Wallace 3A

Postby Bailey Wallace 3A » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:44 pm

Samidha Menon 1G wrote:Personally, whenever I find things I can't remember I like to use letters. AciD has a D and base does not, so aciD Donates. It's a little silly but things like that are personally very helpful to me!

Thanks! This is really helpful

Wendy Zhao 1I

Postby Wendy Zhao 1I » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:46 pm

I remember by remembering common acids like HCl and H2SO4 that start with H+ (which is a proton). And base is the opposite.

Luke Hatch 1G

Postby Luke Hatch 1G » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:33 pm

First of all, its important to remember bronsted-Lowry acids and lewis acids are defined in the opposite way. Bronsted-Lowry acids donate protons and lewis acids accept electrons. The opposite is true for bases; bronstead-Lowry bases accept protons and lewis bases donate electrons. I think of it as a chart:

Acid Base
Bronstead-Lowry donate H+ accept H+

Lewis accept e- donate e-

It takes a little bit of studying but it's a relatively easy chart to remember. If all else fails though, I just remember the opposite nature of Bronsted-Lowry and Lewis and go by the fact that Lewis Acid Accepts. Of all four options, its easiest for me to remember "acid accepts." after remembering that lewis "acids accept", you know that lewis bases have to donate, and also because Bronsted-Lowry is the opposite Bronsted-Lowry acids donate H+. It sounds kind of convoluted though, so just remembering the chart has been the most useful to me. Hope this Helps

Postby 905744270 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:39 pm

Here's a cool tool that helps you memorize strong acids:

H2SO4, HI, HBr, HNO3, HCl, HClO4
SO I BRought NO CLean CLothes

Return to “Lewis Acids & Bases”