Polarizing the O---H bond

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alex Denman 2G

Polarizing the O---H bond

Postby Alex Denman 2G » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:31 pm

Hi there! I remember that one or two of the UAs or TAs described that electronegative molecules on acids can "polarize the O---H" bond... What does this mean, how does this work, and what are the implications for the strength of the acid?

Re: Polarizing the O---H bond

Postby 305878818 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:13 pm

The ability of a more electronegative atom or group to draw electron density towards itself is referred to in the statement that electronegative molecules can "polarize the O---H bond" in acids. In the case of acids, this polarization occurs in the O---H (oxygen-hydrogen) bond, resulting in unequal electron sharing. The more electronegative element attracts electrons, resulting in partial charges on the atoms involved. This polarization increases the molecule's acidity by making it easier to donate a proton (H+). Increased electron withdrawal from the O---H bond strengthens the acidic character by making the proton more readily available for donation, influencing the acid's reactivity and strength.

Azlyn Hernandez 2E

Re: Polarizing the O---H bond

Postby Azlyn Hernandez 2E » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:23 pm

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I think they were referring to how an electronegative atom can attract electron density towards itself band away from the bond. The greater the extent of polarization, the stronger the acid tends to be. This is because the more polarized the O---H bond, the more easily the acidic proton can be released.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”