Bronsted vs. Lewis

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

MichelleKaku1H

Bronsted vs. Lewis

Postby MichelleKaku1H » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Just wanted to clarify, Bronsted acids and bases have to do with proton donation/acception while Lewis acids and bases have to do with electrons? And when determining if it is strong or weak, is it the same for both types?

Nina Gautam 1K

Re: Bronsted vs. Lewis

Postby Nina Gautam 1K » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Correct, Bronsted acids are proton donors and Bronsted bases are proton acceptors while Lewis acids are electron acceptors and Lewis bases are electron donors. From what I understand about strength of acids/bases, a strong Bronsted acid isn't necessarily a strong Lewis acid as well, but I'm not 100% confident. Hope this helped!

Postby 204918982 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:12 pm

yes, Bronsted acids donate a proton and Bronsted bases accept a proton while Lewis acids accept an electron pair and Lewis bases donate an electron pair.

SantanaRodriguezDis1G

Postby SantanaRodriguezDis1G » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:21 pm

for bronsted most of a strong acid is depronated in solution and for a weak acid only a small fraction are

GabrielGarciaDiscussion1i
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby GabrielGarciaDiscussion1i » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:53 pm

Yes, they are both two sides of the same coin. Bronsted focuses more on the proton while Lewis focuses more on the exchange of an electron. Maybe this will help, but one pneumonic/funny way I tend to remember it is that "Lewis Acids LOVE Accepting electron" (The LA , LA pattern is fun for me).
I think one thing to note is that I am unsure, but I believe Dr. Lavelle mentioned in one of his lectures about the reason for the distinction is that there are some acids/bases that aren't focused around protons and so therefore they would be Lewis, rather than just using Bronsted for all. He also mentioned that it was just a different focus for that specific scientist's research, ha ha.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”