Acid-Base Reactions and Ionic Equations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

vivianndo_1L

Acid-Base Reactions and Ionic Equations

Postby vivianndo_1L » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:02 am

Can someone please explain to me how to start the process of writing the overall, complete ionic, and net ionic equations for acid-base reactions? I'm still really confused about how to do it all.

Here's an example problem that I kinda know how to do but maybe it would help with explaining the steps?

J.5a
Complete the overall equation, and write the complete ionic equation and the net ionic equation for the following acid-base reaction.

HF(aq) + NaOH(aq) -> _____________________

joannehaddad

Re: Acid-Base Reactions and Ionic Equations

Postby joannehaddad » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Okay so, for the overall equation, you write the products of the reactants. In this case, an acid and a base produce a salt and water. Once you have formed water, the remaining elements form the salt. In this case, the salt would be NaF.

For the ionic equation, you dissociate the strong acid or the strong base, and leave a weak acid or weak base undissociated. In this case, NaOH is a strong base, and HF is a weak acid. So for the ionic equation, dissociate the base in the reactants part of the equation, and for the products part, have the salt dissociated, so you can see how it's formed.

And now, for the net ionic equation, you cancel out what is present on both sides of the equation. So in this case, you remove the Na+.

Hope this helps!!

vivianndo_1L

Re: Acid-Base Reactions and Ionic Equations

Postby vivianndo_1L » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:39 am

This helps so much!!! Thank you :)

One quick question though, how do you know to tell the difference between a weak and strong acid/base based on its formula alone?

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”