Chelating Ligands

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tiffany_Cacy_3D

Chelating Ligands

Postby Tiffany_Cacy_3D » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:03 pm

I know that ligands are molecules that bind to a central atom but I am a little confused on what the difference is between a regular ligand and a chelating ligand. Also can ligands ever have double or triple bonds or are they strictly single? I have only seen single bonds so I was curious if they would still be regular ligands if they had a double or triple bond.

Cody Do 2F

Re: Chelating Ligands

Postby Cody Do 2F » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:12 pm

As you said, a normal ligand is simply a molecule that binds to the central atom and sticks off one of its sides. However, a chelating ligand is where ONE molecule can bond to more than one side of a metal atom. Essentially, the way the chelating ligand is formed of multiple single bonds that allow the molecule to rotate freely. Because of this rotation, it can wrap around the metal atom and bind to multiple sites (picture a string and a ball. The string can bend itself to wrap around the ball. The string has covered all possible "binding sites" of the ball, while still being only one string).

I'm sure ligands can have double or triple bonds as well, though we haven't covered any yet!

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”