Strong vs Weak Acid/Base Reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shirley Liu 2I

Strong vs Weak Acid/Base Reactions

Postby Shirley Liu 2I » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:43 pm

We know that strong vs weak acid-base reactions is complete vs incomplete ionization of the acid, but can you differentiate them in reaction equations? In other words, how would we know if the acid is weak or strong just by looking at the reaction?

Diviya Khullar 1G

Re: Strong vs Weak Acid/Base Reactions

Postby Diviya Khullar 1G » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:08 pm

I believe you simply have to memorize which acids and bases are strong and weak.

Sydney Stump

Postby Sydney Stump » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:16 pm

The easiest way is to just memorize the strong acids because most are weak so there are not too many. I know there is another way that involves some calculations but I think it is a lot more complex than what is expected of us for this class.

Jonathan Cheng 3C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jonathan Cheng 3C » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:38 pm

The only way to tell whether the reaction is a strong acid/base or weak acid/base reaction is by looking at the acid or base that is reacting. There are more weak acids and bases than strong acids and bases. Thus, if you recognize that the acid or base that is not reacting is not a strong acid or base, then it is a weak acid/base reaction.

Ahmed Mahmood 4D

Postby Ahmed Mahmood 4D » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Memorizing the different strong and weak acids and bases would be the best way to go about solving these types of problems.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”