Disassociation and stabilization?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kelly Hollman

Disassociation and stabilization?

Postby Kelly Hollman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 am

How are disassociation and stabilization of acids related? I'm just a little confused as I read somewhere that higher electronegativity allows for acids to disassociate more easily, and thus causes them to be stronger acids. However, I also read that higher electronegativity allows for higher stabilization.

Similarly, are there specific definitions of "stabilization" and "disassociation" we should all know?

Steven Garcia 1H

Re: Disassociation and stabilization?

Postby Steven Garcia 1H » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Oxoacids, in particular, more readily lose H+ IF the resulting anion (the anion that results when H+ is released) is stabilized by electron withdrawing atoms. These electron withdrawing atoms, a.k.a atoms with greater electronegativities, delocalize and stabilize the negative charge of the anion.

Just remember that the H+ is more easily dissociate (released from its bond) if the resulting anion is stabilized (neg. charge is spread). Hope this helps!

Kelly Hollman

Re: Disassociation and stabilization?

Postby Kelly Hollman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Steven Garcia 1K wrote:Oxoacids, in particular, more readily lose H+ IF the resulting anion (the anion that results when H+ is released) is stabilized by electron withdrawing atoms. These electron withdrawing atoms, a.k.a atoms with greater electronegativities, delocalize and stabilize the negative charge of the anion.

Just remember that the H+ is more easily dissociate (released from its bond) if the resulting anion is stabilized (neg. charge is spread). Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”