J.7

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

curry 1E

J.7

Postby curry 1E » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Can someone please help me with this one?
"J.7 Select an acid and a base for a neutralization reaction that results in the formation of (a) potassium bromide; (b) zinc nitrite; (c) calcium cyanide, Ca(CN) 2 ; (d) potassium phosphate. Write the balanced equation for each reaction. "

Rachel Yu 1G

Re: J.7

Postby Rachel Yu 1G » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:26 pm

Neutralizations are reactions where acids and base react to form water and another compound. Most likely, the H+ and OH- of the reactants will form H2O and the other atoms will form the substance asked for in each part.

Serena Siddiq 3D

Postby Serena Siddiq 3D » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:31 am

Since this is a neutralization problem, your products are water and whatever they give you; now, you need to figure out what its reactants are from those. So, for A, you see that KBr and H2O are the products. So, the reactants must be KOH (base) and HBr (acid). This combination of H+ ions and OH- ions make the neutralization happen. You do the same for the rest. Hope this helps!

chari_maya 3B

Postby chari_maya 3B » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:53 pm

I don't understand part b... I know that N is more electronegative than Zn so Zn(OH) must be the bronsted base, but I don't understand why it is Zn(OH)2.

Mariah

Postby Mariah » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:22 pm

chari_maya 3B wrote:I don't understand part b... I know that N is more electronegative than Zn so Zn(OH) must be the bronsted base, but I don't understand why it is Zn(OH)2.

It has to be that because zinc has a +2 charge and OH has a -1 charge.

Izzie Capra 2E

Postby Izzie Capra 2E » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:25 pm

Serena Siddiq 3D wrote:Since this is a neutralization problem, your products are water and whatever they give you; now, you need to figure out what its reactants are from those. So, for A, you see that KBr and H2O are the products. So, the reactants must be KOH (base) and HBr (acid). This combination of H+ ions and OH- ions make the neutralization happen. You do the same for the rest. Hope this helps!

How did you know K went with OH and Br went with H?

curry 1E

Postby curry 1E » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Izzie Capra 4D wrote:
Serena Siddiq 3D wrote:Since this is a neutralization problem, your products are water and whatever they give you; now, you need to figure out what its reactants are from those. So, for A, you see that KBr and H2O are the products. So, the reactants must be KOH (base) and HBr (acid). This combination of H+ ions and OH- ions make the neutralization happen. You do the same for the rest. Hope this helps!

I also am confused about this. Does the H+ go to the more electronegative atom?

Cassandra_1K

Postby Cassandra_1K » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:41 pm

How did you know to out H with Br and K with OH ????

Serena Siddiq 3D

Postby Serena Siddiq 3D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:39 am

Izzie Capra 4D wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this! I knew this because the products were H2O and KBr, so I just switched around what everything had since the equation needs to be balanced like always. So, I knew H2O would have come from OH- ions so I put the cation of K+ attached to it in the reactants to be the base (strong base). Then, put the H+ with a negatively charged Br- to balance it out (strong acid). Hope that clears it up.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”