Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Chen 2C
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 am


Postby Jessica Chen 2C » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:49 pm

How do you tell if it's the cation or the anion that's going to be involved in the proton transfer with the water?

Posts: 18400
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Has upvoted: 435 times

Re: J.17

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:25 pm

Doing a lot of practice problems help, but in general, it is important to recognize which conjugate acids/bases are weak/almost nonreactive. For example, think about the strong acids: HCl, HBr, HI, etc. They completely lose protons in solution, and their conjugate bases Cl-, Br- and I- are very weak, meaning the acid form HCl etc will not reform. This is why they are considered strong acids. So if you're looking at a salt that contains one of these anions, then you know the cation will be reacting with water. Similarly, strong bases are usually salts of OH- with group 1 or 2 metal cations (Na+, Ca2+, etc). You know that when these salts are added to water, the OH- reacts with water and the metal cation is relatively inert, so a compound containing these group 1/2 metal cations would likely contain an anionic species that reacts with water rather than the metal cation

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests