Acid and Base Identification

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

EmilyGillen_1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Acid and Base Identification

Postby EmilyGillen_1A » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi everyone! As I an studying for the final, I am just a little confused on evaluating Bronsted Acids and Bases, and how those compare to Lewis Acids and Bases. I often think to myself about how a compound will affect the H+ or OH- concentration, but I mix up how to identify a Bronsted B/A and Lewis B/A. Could someone give me a basic overview on how to approach evaluating what makes an acid and base according to Lewis and Bronsted acids and bases? Thank you so much!

Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Acid and Base Identification

Postby Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:47 pm

Lewis bases will donate an electron pair to a compound while Bronsted bases will accept a proton (H+). On the other hand, Lewis acids will accept a donated electron pair while Bronsted Acids will donate a proton. When looking at specifically Bronsted Bases and Acids, Bronsted bases when added to water will take away a proton from water (remember they are proton acceptors), resulting in the formation of OH-. This will raise the solutions pH. The opposite is true for Bronsted Acids, which will donate a proton to water when mixed, creating H3O+ molecules. THis will lower the pH of a solution. Depending on the situation, Bronsted Bases and Acids can either be Lewis bases or acids. For Lewis Bases and acids, look specifically at the electron pair, and whether one is being donated or accepted. Hope this helps!

Inderpal Singh 2L
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Inderpal Singh 2L » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:26 pm

This is a super simple diagram, but it may help clear some minor details up:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... gXwGPHRmvQ

Binyu You

Postby Binyu You » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:40 am

Lewis acid accepts electron while Lewis base donate electron. Bronsted acid donate proton(H+) while Bronsted base accept protons(H+).In water, Bronsted acid will therefore donate a proton to H2O making it a H3O+, thus making the solution more acidic(lower pH), while Bronsted acid will take away the proton from H2O forming OH-, thus making the solution more basic.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”